This is a Temporary, Full-time position.
Province: Vancouver, British Columbia
Position: Property Coordinator 1 - Junior Paralegal
Deadline: January 28, 2022
Posted: January 17, 2022
Job Description / Duties
* Examines, researches, and analyses requests and proposals from internal and external sources regarding existing or new BC Hydro property interests and makes decisions if the proposal/request warrants further technical and engineering review. Reviews legal terms and conditions of BC Hydro’s property interests, searches titles, reviews maps, plans, legal surveys, etc. in order to make decisions. Prepares recommendations for review by senior staff or management. Completes property referrals and clearances as required. Follows up and arranges for or independently prepares documentation to implement approved recommendations.
* Acquires (secures) and renews Crown Land tenures in support of BC Hydro’s operational requirements; reviews, negotiates, and co-ordinates fees, costs, and ensures documentation is in accordance with BC Hydro’s standards.
* Independently prepares standard documents related to the acquisition, disposition, lease and management of BC Hydro’s property interests. Drafts non-standard clauses for review by Property Coordinator 2 and/or Solicitors. Checks executed documents for completion and accuracy for registration and forwards for registration. Compiles relevant property information including property taxes, water charges, legal fees, mortgage payments etc., in support of property transactions. Records and reports registration particulars to the owners/solicitors, and internal BC Hydro personnel.
* Performs field checks and inspections of BC Hydro fee owned properties and rights of way related to proposals/requests and permitted uses granted by BC Hydro.
* Provides management services for BC Hydro properties: includes arranging for advertisement for leases, sales or rentals; monitors sales completion and lease renewal dates; reviews tenant applications, obtains credit checks, explains lease terms and recommends the most suitable tenant; responds to tenant issues and arranges for approved repairs and maintenance; initiates changes or collection action if necessary; issues rental invoices; monitors payment of tenants rental and property tax billings; drafts account adjustment requests, tracks operating expenses and prepares account reconciliation; identifies accounts in arrears, and initiates collection action by contacting tenants, lessees and others to collect accounts and/or discuss payment arrangements for rental or lease fees; refers collections beyond assigned authority level to senior staff or management.
* Prepares financial documents and reports including EARs, Payment Requisitions, AofTs, RPAs and CRAs in support of various Property functions; processes payments for property transactions, ensures transactions are correct, handles problems and identifies financial or processing issues to senior staff.
* Prepares line lists, identification of deficiencies and or dropped property rights and participates in special studies and projects; utilizes various databases to undertake property research and analysis including EGIS, BC Online, Corporate Online, GATOR, LIMS, PeopleSoft and PReSS in support of major capital projects and requests from BC Hydro's operational groups.
* Operates a PC and related word processing, spreadsheet, and other common desktop applications. Maintains, manages, and updates several property related databases.
* Provides province-wide Properties Help Desk service, answering requests for Properties information and services; handles contentious trouble calls and rush inquiries from members of the public over property issues. Interacts with customers to understand customer’s needs and requirements for their projects and to communicate Hydro’s needs and requirements for public safety and electrical system integrity.
* Performs duties of a minor nature related to the above duties that do not affect the rating of the job.
Qualifications / Required Skills
* Knowledge of Property Law, Principles of Real Estate, Legal descriptions/survey/mapping/formal registration systems, commercial Real estate sales and leasing, the BC Land Titles system of land registration and procedures and customer service. Knowledge is typically acquired through High school graduation plus completion of a one-year Community College program as a Legal Administrative Assistant and/or completion of 2 years of the 4-year Urban Land Economics diploma program or equivalent. Computer skills are typically acquired through use of various internal and external databases and IT systems plus BC Hydro’s in-house courses.
* A minimum of 12 months of practical Real Estate Properties or property legal experience. Satisfactory performance on this job requires up to 2 additional years to acquire the knowledge and skills to perform the full scope of the job. Well developed oral, written, teamwork and interpersonal skills are required
This position is affiliated with the Movement of United Professionals union (MoveUP/COPE). http://moveuptogether.ca
A condition of employment for this job is that you maintain the following requirements in good standing:
*Driver's License Type = Class 5
* BC Hydro employees will be required to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated effective November 22, 2021
* The position's primary focus is to assist our team in obtaining property rights for all of BCH distribution line assets on private and Crown land in order to ensure that BCH has the ability to operate and maintain its electrical distribution system. The candidate will review titles, plans, legal surveys, etc. in order to make decisions in regards to independent preparation of documentation; interact with customers to understand needs and requirements for their projects and to communicate BC Hydro's needs and requirements for public safety and electrical system integrity; check executed documents for completeness and accuracy for registration; attend to registration of documents in the LTO; record and reports registration particulars to owners/solicitors, and internal BC Hydro personnel; acquire new or renewals of Crown land tenures; draft non-standard clauses for review by Property Coordinator 2, Manager or solicitors; process payments for acquisition of property rights; operate a PC and related word processing, spreadsheet, and other common desktop applications; utilize various databases to undertake property research. Knowledge of Principles of Real Estate, legal descriptions/survey/mapping, BC Land Titles system of land/registration an asset. Well developed oral, written/email, teamwork and interpersonal skills, as well as the ability to deal with a high volume of work, are required to perform the full scope of the job.
* Standard BC Hydro office environment and with regular travel away from headquarters to conduct property assignments as required, including occasional overnight travel.
* Varied locations.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit their applications online at https://app.bchydro.com/careers/current_opp.html by January 28, 2022.
Click here to access the job posting or visit the BC Hydro “Current Opportunities” Careers page to view and apply for jobs.
You must use a supported browser, such as Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Safari. Your pop up blocker will also need to be disabled for the BC Hydro Careers site.
On the BC Hydro Careers site, click on the Apply button in order to complete the steps to apply for this job. Please be sure to update your Candidate Profile with your current resume and include copies of your certifications, if applicable.
We're always looking for exceptional people to bring new ideas, fresh thinking and the motivation to help shape the electricity system in B.C. It's an exciting time to be a part of our team as we invest in our system and prepare to meet the challenges of tomorrow.
Our values guide our work. Want to join us?
We are safe.
We are here for our customers.
We are one team.
We include everyone.
We act with integrity and respect.
We are forward thinking.
BC Hydro is an equal opportunity employer.
We include everyone. We welcome applications from anyone, including members of visible minorities, women, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
We are also happy to provide reasonable accommodations throughout the selection process and while working at BC Hydro. If you require support applying online because you are a person with a disability, please contact us at Recruitmenthelp@BCHydro.com
We’re BC Hydro and we have a big job to do.
Keeping the lights on for over 4 million people across the province takes a lot of talented people doing many different jobs. From working deep in a generating station, atop a power pole, or behind a desk, whatever it is that makes you tick we offer challenging careers to help you reach your potential.
We’re investing more than $2 billion per year in major capital infrastructure projects to help meet the growing demand for safe, reliable power. We’re upgrading transmission lines, building new substations, and investing in our hydroelectric generation facilities. We aim to provide meaningful and challenging work, opportunities for growth and a healthy work/life balance. We’ve been recognized for excellence and been named one of B.C.’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers.
It’s our vision is to be the most trusted, innovative utility company in North America by being smart about power in all we do.