Job Board > Manager, Real Estate Services - Metro Vancouver Regional District
This is a Permanent, Full-time position.
Province: Burnaby, British Columbia
Position: Manager, Real Estate Services
Deadline: November 15, 2022
Posted: September 21, 2022
Job Description / Duties
• Works as part of a team to manages the provision of professional real estate services and advice to Metro Vancouver’s various legal entities (GVS&DD, GVWD, MVRD and Metro Vancouver Housing). Manages acquisitions, disposal and ongoing management of the organization’s real estate interests and rights (both as property owner and tenant) including fee simple, statutory right-of-ways, licenses, permits and leases. Works effectively to minimize expense, liability and risk exposure and optimize revenue and opportunities for client departments.
• Contributes to preparing and managing the division’s budget and is accountable for monitoring and controlling spending ensuring the effective and efficient expenditure of allocated funds. Contributes to short and long term planning and makes recommendations regarding the priorities. May be responsible for the annual review and payment of applicable property taxes including formal appeals of assessments.
• Directs and approves the valuation and negotiation of real estate interests with private and public owners. Handles complex and/or controversial acquisitions, disposals and administration of real estate interests. Recommends settlements; manages and guides processes for expropriations and/or right of way requirements; and provides rationale and appropriate legal documentation for CAO and/or Board approval.
• Manages property acquisition and/or right of way requirements for capital projects including preparing and implementing business cases, budgets and project plans. Recommends land purchase agreements and expenditures and/or right of way administrative requirements and seeks appropriate level of approval for binding legal commitments. Prepares and presents reports on activities.
• Provides confidential advice and guidance to senior staff, client departments and Metro Vancouver’s Committees and Boards and acts as a key resource in real estate appraisal, negotiation and administration. Liaises with staff from other orders of government and non-government agencies to explain corporate objectives, resolve issues and ensure the timely progression of projects. Intervenes in negotiations to resolve conflict or impasses and retains and directs consultants, appraisers and other experts as required.
• Interprets and implements corporate policy relevant to area of work such as the Procurement & Real Property Contracting Authority and makes recommendations on changes. Explains policy and objectives to staff and the public and provides direction accordingly.
• Hires, supervises, directs and develops staff, monitoring performance towards division, department, and corporate objectives. Ensures staff adhere to corporate workplace conduct policies. Leads, coaches, and develops staff recognizing the importance of training.
• Keeps current with regulations and laws governing work. Researches, analyzes and evaluates information with respect to property values, market trends, major civic or private development projects and their effects and influence on property values. Ensures work is performed in accordance to the best interests of the organization and industry best practices. Provides input and suggestions to divisional strategic planning, decision making and initiatives.
• Performs other related duties as required.
Qualifications / Required Skills
To be successful, you have:
• 5 years of recent, related experience supplemented by a university degree or diploma in a relevant discipline such as commerce, real estate, urban land economics or law; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
• RI professional designation with the Real Estate Institute of BC or AACI designation with the Appraisal Institute of Canada. Specialized training in negotiation, conflict resolution, labour relations, project management, contract preparation and administration is an asset.
• Sound ability to value real estate value and effectively negotiate with tact and diplomacy to acquire, manage and dispose of interests in real property. Demonstrated ability to provide guidance and direction to staff on the same and resolve complex, divisive and controversial real property transactions and challenges in the best interests of the organization.
• Sound knowledge related to the regulations, laws, acts, statutes, policies and objectives governing work including expropriation and by-laws and processes relevant to zoning, sub-division, site development and building permits. Demonstrated ability to lead the property acquisition requirements of large development projects.
• Demonstrated ability to provide professional solutions and troubleshoot a wide variety of complex real property matters. Sound research and analytical skills and ability to develop business cases and recommendations.
• Sound knowledge and understanding of Metro Vancouver’s functions, processes and objectives. Ability to provide practical advice, solutions and recommendations aptly suited to differing business needs. Considerable knowledge of corporate policies, procedures, goals and regulations.
• Sound written and oral communication skills. Ability to provide clear instructions and translate technical contractual information to language and context understood by a variety of audiences. Ability to write and revise memos, recommendations and reports.
• Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external contacts. Ability to tactfully respond to inquiries and effectively resolve negotiations in the interest of the organization. Proven ability to work cooperatively with others; ability to deal with disagreements and prevent the escalation of conflict.
• Ability to manage and monitor budgets ensuring the effective and efficient expenditure of allocated funds within the approved budget. Ability to manage contracts with service providers and contractors.
• Demonstrated supervisory skills and abilities including the ability to consistently apply and explain corporate policies and collective agreements. Provides constructive and motivating feedback to staff.
• Ability to use judgment to resolve complex problems requiring urgent remedy. Acts as a resource to staff for advice and guidance on potential approaches and problem situations. Demonstrates persistence in overcoming obstacles.
• Valid BC Class 5 Driver’s License.
Metro Vancouver embraces collaboration and innovation in providing sustainable regional services that contribute to a livable and resilient region and a healthy natural environment for current and future generations.
We are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion and being representative of the region we serve. We invite all qualified candidates to apply including Indigenous People, visible minorities, immigrants, LGBTQ2S+, all genders and persons with disabilities.
Metro Vancouver requires all new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (subject to any exemptions and accommodations) and provide proof of vaccination upon hire. Please follow this link http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/careers/ to our Careers page where you can submit your application by November 15, 2022.
Please follow this link http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/careers/ to our Careers page where you can submit your application by November 15, 2022.
Our Procurement and Real Estate Services Department is seeking a Manager, Real Estate Services for our Real Estate Services division who will be a leader within our growing team. This position will lead a team that will carry out a wide variety of transactions from acquisition of fee simple lands to other interests in land and will participate in the creation and maintenance of the District’s real estate strategies as well as to provide a key role as part of the senior leadership team in Real Estate Services in the operations of the division.
You are: a real estate professional with strong leadership abilities; have significant experience in the negotiation of property rights; have a positive and enthusiastic attitude; enjoys being part of a lively and dynamic team; organized and detail-oriented; dependable and reliable; courteous and respectful; and personally invested in supporting others and guaranteeing satisfaction.
The Manager, Real Estate Services reports to the Director, Real Estate Services and falls within our Management / Leadership, Level 2 job family.