This is a Permanent, Full-time position.
Province: Vancouver, British Columbia
Position: Manager of Property Tax Services
Deadline: September 17, 2021
Posted: August 31, 2021
Job Description / Duties
Source: BC Hydro
Job Title: Manager of Property Tax Services
Job Number: BCH-R-5830-210827E1
Job Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
We’re BC Hydro and we have a big job to do.
Keeping the lights on for over 4 million people across the province takes a lot of talented people doing many different jobs. From working deep in a generating station, atop a power pole, or behind a desk, whatever it is that makes you tick we offer challenging careers to help you reach your potential.
We’re investing more than $2 billion per year in major capital infrastructure projects to help meet the growing demand for safe, reliable power. We’re upgrading transmission lines, building new substations, and investing in our hydroelectric generation facilities. We aim to provide meaningful and challenging work, opportunities for growth and a healthy work/life balance. We’ve been recognized for excellence and been named one of B.C.’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers.
It’s our vision is to be the most trusted, innovative utility company in North America by being smart about power in all we do.
* The Manager, Property Tax Services reports to the Senior Manager, Real Estate Services (RES), is a member of the RES leadership team and shares accountability for achievement of RES strategic objectives. The position is responsible for the management of the Property Tax group. The group's responsibilities include policy and governance role for BC Hydro regarding property assessment and taxation, property assessment reviews and appeals, calculation and payment of property taxes and grants in lieu, financial accounting and forecasting and analysis of tax impacts for new capital projects. Duties include overseeing review and analysis of over 4,000 property assessment notices totaling over $10 billion, tax invoices from 143 municipalities and the province, payments to 140 First Nations in respect to the Community Development fund agreement.
Specific accountabilities include:
• Providing guidance to staff in regard to internal practices and guidelines
• Accountable for developing polices and making recommendation to achieve property tax savings for the corporation;
• Develops and implements transitional plans for major property tax changes (such as the introduction of new property tax legislation);
• Identifies major risks and escalates with corporation to seek direction for risk mitigation strategies
• Develop property tax strategies for major capital projects
• Proactively manages all aspects of property taxes and assessment valuations on an enterprise wide basis. Expertise includes First Nations taxation, school taxes, and grants-in-lieu.
• Accountable for leading the resolution of all property tax related disputes with BC Assessment and with municipal/provincial tax authorities.
• Accountable for identifying property tax savings and recoveries for the corporation through the management of property assessment appeals, negotiations with BC Assessment, and consultations with the province regarding legislative changes and policy directives.
• Accountable for the payment approval process for property taxes. Identifies risks, develops, and implements process improvements to avoid penalties for late payments.
• Accountable for all financial accounting, variance analysis and forecasting of property taxes, including submissions to BCUC for RRA purposes, etc.
• Oversight for all aspects of BC Hydro’s relationship with municipal and provincial tax authorities and represents BC Hydro on all property tax matters.
• Build an engaged, high-performing team and guide employee development & training;
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit their applications online at https://app.bchydro.com/careers/current_opp.html by September 17, 2021.
Click here to access the job posting or visit the BC Hydro “Current Opportunities” Careers page to view and apply for jobs.
You must use a supported browser, such as Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Safari. Your pop up blocker will also need to be disabled for the BC Hydro Careers site.
On the BC Hydro Careers site, click on the Apply button in order to complete the steps to apply for this job. Please be sure to update your Candidate Profile with your current resume and include copies of your certifications, if applicable.
We're always looking for exceptional people to bring new ideas, fresh thinking and the motivation to help shape the electricity system in B.C. It's an exciting time to be a part of our team as we invest in our system and prepare to meet the challenges of tomorrow.
Our values guide our work. Want to join us?
We are safe.
We are here for our customers.
We are one team.
We include everyone.
We act with integrity and respect.
We are forward thinking.
BC Hydro is an equal opportunity employer.
We include everyone. We welcome applications from anyone, including members of visible minorities, women, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
We are also happy to provide reasonable accommodations throughout the selection process and while working at BC Hydro. If you require support applying online because you are a person with a disability, please contact us at Recruitmenthelp@BCHydro.com .
Qualifications / Required Skills
* The ideal candidate is an experienced professional with real estate and financial background with experience in municipal taxation polices and related legislation, financial and accounting experience, with a proven ability to effectively manage a team of real estate professionals.
• Minimum 5-7 years of progressive, related experience (preferably in real estate and finance) leading a team or complex projects/initiatives, ideally in a collaborative or operations environment;
• A university degree or post-secondary diploma/certificate in a related discipline or field, including management courses in business, finance, accounting or equivalent experience;
• Experience balancing strategic issue management with core operational service delivery;
• Proven team player and relationship builder, with strong interpersonal, communication, conflict management, analytical, and negotiation skills;
• Proven ability to take ownership of issues, effectively assess risk, prioritize appropriate actions, and persevere to achieve results;
• Experience in promoting employee development by establishing clear expectations, providing feedback and having difficult conversations.
• Strong understanding of principles relating to real estate principles and valuation is an asset;
• Understanding of municipal taxation and related legislation, property assessment appeals process are also assets.
* This position is a hybrid flexible working role, located at 333 Dunsmuir Street, Vancouver, (13th floor)
* This is an M1 Properties Manager level role.
This position is a hybrid flexible working role, located on Dunsmuir 13.
* This role requires a valid class 5 Driver's license held and maintained in good standing.
Contact Name: Emma Quigley