Job Description / Duties
TELUS is a dynamic communications company looking for an enthusiastic individual to join the Corporate Real Estate team to assist in the management of TELUS’ portfolio, which includes a $130M per annum leasing portfolio plus a large portfolio of owned properties. The successful candidate will be responsible for being the face of TELUS to all current and future landlords who TELUS has lease contracts with. This individual should also be comfortable handling complex leasing and property dispositions and acquisitions.
Here’s the impact you’ll make and what we’ll accomplish together
The Real Estate Transactions team is part of the Corporate Real Estate group within Finance, being responsible for management, planning and procurement of real estate accommodation for TELUS across Canada. This team is dedicated to employing best practices to create and execute accommodation strategies aimed at delivering on corporate objectives for both customers and shareholders.
The team is responsible for the portfolio management of both administrative and network facilities consisting of over 200 leased locations totaling in excess of 4 million square feet and over 2,400 owned locations totaling over 6.6 million square feet.
As Senior Real Estate Manager, you are motivated and challenged by helping the Corporate Real Estate team get results through the planning and delivery of accommodation strategies. This is an individual contributor position; however you will lead by influence and collaborate with various other departments within TELUS and interact with senior leadership on a regular basis. You will have a sound knowledge of the company and its activities, including products and services, systems, processes, approach to market and strategic direction.
• Primary responsibilities include new lease acquisition, existing lease renewals, acquisition of new owned property/buildings, disposition of underused owned assets and initiating redevelopment and or joint venture opportunities while maintaining a strategic view of the portfolio
• Develop business case and operating expense plans to achieve cost containment of lease operating budget for new acquisitions or major contract renewals
• Develop and maintain relationships with landlords for multi-million dollar lease contracts
• Negotiation and liaison with business partners
• May require working with other business areas to determine business requirements, growth rate, regional city strategies and space planning
• Lead / assist with municipal applications and appear at public meetings
• Source and negotiate highly complex deals, including joint venture development agreements
• Negotiation of a wide variety of property agreements including easements and rights of way
• Negotiate and oversee property dispositions and acquisitions, including marketing, due diligence and valuation
• Implement and manage programs to drive efficiencies in performance and governance structure
• Enhance strategic alignment and daily collaboration with other teams in Corporate Real Estate
• Assist in the preparation of portfolio management and asset management plans for each leased asset incorporating periodic property/portfolio reviews and required detailed market research, recommending and executing changes in strategy where required to develop a competitive advantage
• Maintain and enhance TELUS' relationships with its landlords
Qualifications / Required Skills
• 7+ years of directly related experience
• Accreditation with recognized real estate organizations such as the Real Estate Institute of BC
• Valid driver’s license in good standing
• Preference will given to those who hold a BBA, BComm, diploma or like post-secondary education in real estate
• Strong ability to build relationships with landlords and internal stakeholders
• Excellent real estate fundamentals including valuation and financial statements
• Strong competence in reviewing, understanding and, in concert with legal services, drafting all forms of real estate contracts and agreements
• A high level of proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively with all staff in a busy environment and handle concurrent tasks under tight deadlines
• Ability to think creatively, stay calm under pressure and meet deadlines
• Travel may be required from time to time
• Opportunities to work in a mobile environment, being in different offices, from home or alternate locations
At TELUS, we are committed to diversity and equitable access to employment opportunities based on ability.
Please apply to the job directly on the TELUS careers website at
We're a high-performing team of individuals who collectively make TELUS one of the leading telecommunications companies in Canada. Our competitive consumer offerings include wireline, wireless, internet and Optik TV™. We also deliver a compelling range of products and services for small, medium and large businesses; and have carved out a leadership position in the health, energy, finance and public sector markets with innovative industry specific solutions.
Everyone belongs at TELUS. It doesn’t matter who you are, what you do or how you do it, at TELUS, your unique contribution and talents will be valued and respected. Because the more diverse perspectives we have the more likely we are to crack the code on what our customers want and our communities need.
Do you share our passion?
At TELUS, you create future friendly® possibilities.