Job Description / Duties
Source: BC Hydro
Job Title: Property Representative 2
Job Number: 50888677
Job Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Job Status: Full-time (37.5 hrs/wk) Permanent
We’re BC Hydro and we have a big job to do.
Keeping the lights on for over 4 million people across the province takes a lot of talented people doing many different jobs. From working deep in a generating station, atop a power pole, or behind a desk, whatever it is that makes you tick we offer challenging careers to help you reach your potential.
We’re investing more than $2 billion per year in major capital infrastructure projects to help meet the growing demand for safe, reliable power. We’re upgrading transmission lines, building new substations, and investing in our hydroelectric generation facilities. We aim to provide meaningful and challenging work, opportunities for growth and a healthy work/life balance. We’ve been recognized for excellence and been named one of B.C.’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers for four years in a row.
It’s our vision is to be the most trusted, innovative utility company in North America by being smart about power in all we do.
• Develops and prepares recommendations to optimize land use and development for BC Hydro's Real Estate assets by: researching and analyzing economic, social, environmental and political factors affecting real estate values; identifying risk issues; liaising or negotiating with realtors, property owners, consultants, lawyers, government officials and others; identifying design, engineering, financial and contractual issues and concerns; coordinating, reviewing, managing and approving real estate appraisal reports and other consultant studies; preparing cost benefit analysis and project budgets; preparing and presenting recommendations for approval by senior management; implementing and providing project leadership over approved recommendations.
• Represents BC Hydro in the acquisition, management, sale and/or lease of property, rights of way and other property interests; develops and coordinates property purchase and/or sale strategies; prepares valuation analysis; organizes and coordinates stakeholders to facilitate negotiations and preparation of agreements; manages project tasks, scope, risks and budgets; provides direction and instructions to Property Legal staff for preparation of real estate agreements and/or documentation required to complete objectives; acts as an expert witness at arbitration, mediation, legal or other similar proceedings.
• Manages BC Hydro's utility corridor property interests, reservoir lands, fee owned lands and other interests; negotiates agreements; performs site inspections; reviews development and construction plans; ensures work is carried out in accordance with plans, agreements and safety requirements; follows up with property owners, developers and contractors on right of way encroachments where a safety hazard to the public or BC Hydro exists.
• Acts as a project manager or task manager for capital projects and/or construction of non electric plant and corporate facilities by: preparing project estimates; organizing and providing project management over a construction design team; reviewing, administering and controlling project implementation elements, contract details, budgets, risks and costs; approving and recommending progress payments and other invoices for payment from contractors and consultants; investigating and resolving disputes and/or responding to, or initiating litigation action.
• Provides property management over BC Hydro land, buildings, major assets and real estate interests leased from others such as: determining acceptable uses, lease rates, terms and conditions; preparing and negotiating contractual agreements for leases and other property interests both as landlord or tenant; preparing and reviewing agreements with Property Legal; resolving landlord/tenant disputes; preparing and managing budgets and service contracts; representing BC Hydro in related disputes and legal proceedings.
• Conducts a variety of financial, property analysis and research for various projects, business initiatives and proposals to support managerial planning and decision making on property related matters.
• Provides technical direction and work leadership to managers, contractors, professional consultants and Property Services workers.
• Provides direction and instruction to Property Legal workers on the preparation, registration and release of various property rights and transactions.
• Performs duties of a minor nature related to the above duties that do not affect the nature of the job.
Qualifications / Required Skills
• A university degree in urban land economics or equivalent
• A minimum of six years experience in progressively more responsible real estate related positions with an excellent demonstrated working knowledge of real estate processes, property management, issues management, development issues, land use and general research, analysis, policy and strategy development, team projects, politics, economic issues, acquisition, lease and sale of real estate assets, rights and negotiation of various terms, conditions and values
• Experience in property and business management, real estate acquisitions, sales, leasing, right of way acquisition and management, project, property and task management, land economics, right of way and interest valuation, real estate valuation, land title and rights registry, documentation systems and processes, financial analysis, contract law, legal survey fundamentals, legislative frameworks, statutes and acts, negotiation and conflict resolution techniques and methods, business and report writing knowledge
• Well developed, oral, written, interpersonal communication, negotiation, conflict resolution, teamwork and analytical skills.
This position is affiliated with the Movement of United Professionals union (MoveUP/COPE). http://moveuptogether.ca
PLEASE NOTE: Standard BC Hydro office environment with regular field trips to perform required work and frequent travel to the Peace Region. Work and project assignments can include frequent overnight travel from time to time, attendance at meetings and provision of on-site property service and project work.
• A valid Class 5 driver's license (in good standing) is a requirement for this job
• Ability to work in a team environment is preferred.
• An excellent interpersonal skill in dealing with employees, internal and external customers, contractors, and government agencies is an essential factor in the selection process.
• Ability to remain calm and respond positively to difficult or irate customers is important.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit their applications online at https://app.bchydro.com/careers/current_opp.html by August 30th 2019.
Click here to access the job posting or visit the BC Hydro “Current Opportunities” Careers page to view and apply for jobs.
You must use a supported browser, such as Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Safari. Your pop up blocker will also need to be disabled for the BC Hydro Careers site.
On the BC Hydro Careers site, click on the Apply button in order to complete the steps to apply for this job. Please be sure to update your Candidate Profile with your current resume and include copies of your certifications, if applicable. If applicable, include your Trades Qualification. This will ensure we have all the necessary information to assess your application without any delays.
We're always looking for exceptional people to bring new ideas, fresh thinking and the motivation to help shape the electricity system in B.C. It's an exciting time to be a part of our team as we invest in our system and prepare to meet the challenges of tomorrow.
Our values guide our work. Want to join us?
We are safe.
We are here for our customers.
We are one team.
We act with integrity.
We respect our province.
We are forward thinking.
BC Hydro is an equal opportunity employer.