Job Board > Property Negotiator - Metro Vancouver
This is a Permanent, Full-time position.
Province: Burnaby, British Columbia
Position: Property Negotiator
Deadline: September 20, 2022
Posted: August 3, 2022
Job Description / Duties
• Values and/or negotiates the purchase, sale or rental of property or other interests in property such as rights of way required for or surplus to requirements concerning water mains, trunk sewers, parks or housing developments.
• Directs property surveys and searches titles, as required, and obtains a variety of information concerning current market values, zoning, municipal requirements, legal encumbrances and suitability of the property.
• Prepares reports concerning the value and desirability of acquiring property and instructs legal counsel, obtains approval of purchase and follows up completion of such transactions.
• Prepares reports on property matters for a superior for submission to the Board, Committees and others.
• As required, prepare by-laws, negotiate agreements with housing commissions or negotiates with property owners regarding claims for damage incurred resulting from District facilities and operations.
• As required, gathers and indexes a variety of information related to property, property inventories, insurable values and prepares rent rate reviews.
• Obtains permission from property owners for entry and/or easements required by district staff and/or contractors.
• Maintains liaison with District staff, private owners, municipal representatives, architects, committees and other public bodies concerning the acquisition of property.
• Acts in an advisory capacity to legal counsel during arbitration proceedings.
• Inputs computer data as required, maintains records and files and conducts correspondence on properties being considered and acquired.
• Performs related work as required.
Qualifications / Required Skills
To be successful, you have:
• Completion of the 12th school grade and an accredited course in property valuation.
• Considerable experience in, and thorough knowledge of the principles, practices and procedures of, property valuation, negotiation and related real estate work or an equivalent combination of training and experience as it pertains to all forms of interests in land.
• Certification as AACI, RIBC, CRA, IRWA or equivalent OR the eligibility to acquire such a certification.
• Considerable knowledge of current realty values, construction costs, market trends and the processing of property transactions.
• Ability to value and negotiate property purchases, rentals, sales or other interests in land, particularly easements and rights of way
• Ability to successfully meet and negotiate with property owners and deal effectively with tenants, realtors, business representatives, committees and the general public
• Ability to prepare detailed technical reports related to the valuation and acquisition of all types of property, to maintain files and records and input computer data as required.
• Sound knowledge of zoning and building bylaws
• Sound knowledge of modern practices and procedures relating to real estate appraisal
• Sound knowledge of the functions of the applicable department and the property requirements of same expropriation procedures.
• Working knowledge of mortgages and leases and their relation to applicable properties.
• Ability to act in an advisory capacity to legal counsel and district officials during arbitration proceedings.
• Driver's License for the Province of British Columbia.
Our Procurement and Real Estate Services Department is seeking a Property Negotiator for our Real Estate Services division who will lead or assist in a variety of property negotiations in our growing team. These positions will carry out a wide variety of transactions from acquisition of fee simple lands to other interests in land and will participate in the creation and maintenance of the District’s real estate strategies.
You are: a real estate professional with strong experience in the negotiation of property rights; have a positive and enthusiastic attitude; enjoys being part of a lively and dynamic team; organized and detail-oriented; dependable and reliable; courteous and respectful; and personally invested in supporting others and guaranteeing satisfaction.
Metro Vancouver embraces collaboration and innovation in providing sustainable regional services that contribute to a livable and resilient region and a healthy natural environment for current and future generations.
We are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion and being representative of the region we serve. We invite all qualified candidates to apply including Indigenous People, visible minorities, immigrants, LGBTQ2S+, all genders and persons with disabilities.
Metro Vancouver has implemented a COVID-19 vaccination policy. The policy requires all individuals hired by Metro Vancouver to be fully vaccinated (subject to any exemptions and accommodations) and provide proof of vaccination upon hire. Please follow this link http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/careers/ to our Careers page where you can submit your application by September 03, 2022.
Position Title: Property Negotiator
Position Status: Full-Time Regular
Department: Procurement and Real Estate Services
Employee Group: Teamsters Local 31
Location: 4515 Central Boulevard, Burnaby
Salary Range/ Wage Rate: PG 27 $3,114.60 - $3,680.10 bi-weekly